Sunday 11 August 2013

Hiroshima Day on Tuesday

paper cranes
This week was the Anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. 
On my first visit to Japan  10 years ago I  took the opportunity to visit Hiroshima.  We had marched on Hiroshima Day in NZ and were supporters of NZ's anti nuclear stance. It seemed only  appropriate to go there when I was nearby.
It was a powerful experience during which I got to meet a survivor of 6th August 1945. There are many on you-tube including this one. Story of Mr. Keijiro Matsushima

Since my visit I have sought to find out more and increase my understanding of the bombings.  An article this week from Greg Mitchell on the bombings discusses the cover-up of film and evidence.

 Later in the week I  had the opportunity to go to a new documentary Fallout which documents the writer Nevil Shute, the book and the movie On The Beach, as well as opinions about the bombing of  Hiroshima & Nagasaki. Amazing documentary that kept my mind spinning well into the night.
Recall of this event always provokes produces feelings that are hard to describe. It is truly awe full.

No comments:

Post a Comment